Wednesday, 14 August 2013

Knowledge as currency: a story



I can take no credit for this blog post at all. This is a story written by my son, Cooper Forsyth, around a year ago. He was twelve. 


There once was a very clever boy, He was always top of the class and he excelled in anything that required intellectual ability. Grown-ups often told him that his knowledge would bring him far in adult life, but when the boy grew up he was very disappointed. He needed to earn money but each job only required a portion of his intelligence, so he came up with a plan. He went down to the bakery to try out his new plan, and when he got there he offered the baker a deal. “for one loaf of bread” he said “I will tell you something you don't already know.” “why would I do that"? the baker replied in alarm. “Because” the man started intelligently “you can then offer the same knowledge to another baker for two loaves of bread.” the baker hesitated for a moment, “alright” he said “I'll do it. The man walked away in satisfaction, “soon everyone will accept knowledge as currency, and finally my knowledge will serve me well” he thought.

Time passed and the man became very rich. One day the man had to go to the grocery store to buy some food. When he got there he offered the grocer a simple maths equation he learned in year 7, but the grocer already knew it. The man tried again. He tried everything he knew about science, English, maths, physics but the grocer knew it all. He sighed: “in return for some rope and a stool” he said “I will tell you the secret of how knowledge became currency".