Thursday, 2 May 2013

Enlivened learning

For a little while I have been thinking about 'inclusive knowledge' - what a more inclusive university might look like if we add KNOWLEDGE, not just demographics, to the question of inclusion. My as yet unexplored assumption (based on SOME evidence, just not much systematic yet) is that the exclusion of people and the limits of academic knowledge are related.

The idea links to Raewyn Connell's discussion about Southern Theory - emphasising certain kinds of knowledge bolsters power in the locations in which they are made.

Since this has been rattling around in my head for a bit I was excited when yesterday I met this amazing couple, Kelly and Udi, who have 'dropped out' of academic life and are touring the world on their own savings to explore ways that people are 'doing' high education beyond the academy. This includes indigenous knowledge, but also other ways of knowing 'otherwise'. They

They are calling their trip Enlivened Learning.

Somebody needs to give this couple some money. There is really important stuff here.

I plan to spend a good amount of time with their blog.

No comments: