Monday, 8 September 2008

God Professors and Student Ratbags - structure

I often think the most funnest part of writing is structuring the thing at the start (though I often undo it again as I go). This one is especially fun: a draft (which will undoubtedly be entirely rewritten) of Chapter 2: God Professors and Student Ratbags: power and the ownership of knowledge in the 1960s and 1970s. The following are the headings throughout, at the moment. Intro and conclusions at both ends of course.

1. Treating students like morons: library fines (of all things - 'of all things' is not in it though...)
2. Violence/Knowledge: rethinking education
3. Freeing knowledge: the Free U
4. Student participation in knowledge: the Victoria Lee Case
5. Regulation 3.3.18: accessing knowledge
6. Communists, conspiracies and Professorial authority
7. New knowledge, new authority: the Philosophy Strike
8. Power/Assessment: Exam Resisters’ Manifesto


I think maybe #6 is not right: not all professors were paranoid about communist conspiracies.

Look like fun? This is my life for the next 3 weeks. Call me nerdy, but I think it looks like fun.



No comments: