Tuesday, 19 August 2008

Another fragment

This is like somewhere between microblogging and actual blogging: maybe it is frogging? Fragment Blogging.

Here is another fragment of current work (quote, that is).

When I was studying during the early 1950s, one of the great problems that arose was that of the political status of science and the ideological functions which it could serve. ... What I myself tried to do in this domain was met with a great silence among the French intellectual Left. And it was only around 1968, and in spite of the Marxist tradition and the PCF, that all these questions came to assume their political significance, with a sharpness I had never envisaged, showing how timid and hesitant those early books of mine had still been. Without the political opening created during those years, I would surely never have had the courage to take up these problems again and pursue my research...


Foucault, of course, Truth and Power in Power/Knowledge.

Those familiar with my long-held feelings about F may be surprised by this. But in this current work I am doing - knowledge, power, student protest, professorial authority, legitimacy of knowledge types and sources, violence, universities in the 1960s and 1970s... could I really avoid him? Exactly what I'm going to do with him is another question....

No comments: